Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Glee is in the air...

Yesterday, while picking up my glasses (they were finally ready) we did a quick run through Walmart and my little one found the GLEE CD (okay I found it, and pointed it out, and suggested that she tell daddy about it - hahaha). She just had to have it and what the hey we needed to get it - it was a matter of life and death. Why is it that when it comes to kids getting stuff, it has to be a matter of life and death?

Well, after listening to it about 50 times in the last 24 hours, my daughter replays her favorite song - a remake of Diana Ross' You Keep Me Hangin' On. She loves 60's music. After I took a closer look at the cover I realized that the songs spanned the decades. They reminded me of the tunes I grew up on. That's why I have connected with the show - the music. I am just happy after every episode. So, no matter how horrible I thought it was, my mind subconsciously has related these songs to happy times in my life.

Music - okay loud music was a part of growing up in my home - I could hustle as a kid and my sister and I competed at every family party (remember Puerto Rican families are huge so parties were an almost weekly occurence). I listen to everything - I think my IPOD is having an identity crisis as it plays celine dion after LL cool j that followed Marc Anthony (spanish song). But, darn it if it doesn't prove that there were good times.

My kids can sometimes drive me up a wall. Which of course means that they will complain about every little thing and how horrible I am and sometimes I wonder if when they grow up they will remember anything besides the bad moments. Will they remember all the hand-picked teachers, the $$$ spent on tutors, the countless hours spent in emergency rooms, the tears I cried when they cried during their vaccinations, the visits to nyc, chicago, puerto rico, disney, sesame place, great adventures, universal studios, the two busch gardens???

Oh yeah, that right I have the photos to prove it - that's why I scrapbook - it's evidence. So, the next time they yell out that I am so mean, maybe I'll pull out that layout with me holding their tiny little bodies on the day they were born. That's a good one. I am going to file that one. I know I am going to need to use it with these little ones. So scrap it - it's evidence of good times had - you just might have to use it.

write soon,
dee

No comments: