Wednesday, November 05, 2008

In my lifetime...

Yesterday, once again, history was rewritten. No matter which way it went yesterday, we would once again have changed history. That made me think about all the things that have happened in my lifetime. Yes, it's true I'm old and judging by the amount of things that have happened in my lifetime you would think I am a zillion years old. But, technology has had the biggest changes. For example, pay phones are a thing of the past - I don't even know of one in Florida...anybody??? As a teenager I had a beeper glued to my hip. Forget visa, I never left home without it - yet only doctors do now - or is that only on Grey's. Computers were not a household item. Now they are tiny. Oh, and do you remember the first cellular phones. Those 2 guys from Saturday Night Live made that club movie where they have one of those phones. They were not $600-1K when they first came out - now you can get them for 50 bucks with a plan and they can fit in the palm of your hand. Damn, I feel old. That's just the tip of the iceburg, but those were the good changes. I have seen such sadness as well. For example, I still lived in NYC when 911 happened. I will never ever forget that day - I won't forget where I was and how scared I felt or how life has changed for me and millions of others. Then, there's the death of Elvis - I am not sure how old I was when he died but I know that when we moved from our 20th floor apartment to out 8th floor apartment my mom made me through out my Elvis cards because he was dead and I couldn't marry him anymore - so I had to through a WHOLE drawer full of cards. Don't laugh at me crushes are everything as a child - okay I might still have some crushes in my lifetime - but that's okay. My husband says that we can look - it's the touching that's not an option. Lucky we are not the jealous type. For him it's easy - if the man's not bald he doesn't even fall into the spectrum of hotness for me except for maybe MacSteamy - but he does steam my glasses.

Well, my DH just brought me a pint of chocolate ice cream and a hershey's candy bar -so I've really got to run. Yes, he's a keeper - so I guess my history is pretty written.

Respond and tell me about something that has happened in your lifetime - technological or not. Refresh my memory after all I am a zillion years old.

Write soon,

Dee

2 comments:

R. Dorrian6 said...

Yum! Love choc ice cream. Ben and Jerry's is the best.(wink)

Do you remember the old rotary dial phones that used to be attached to the wall? I remember my dad buying a longer cord for it (one that didn't match the phone color - don'tknow why that was) but I didn't really care so long as I could strech that thing out across the kitchen and into the dining room so that I could have some privacy when I talked on it to my boyfriend. And what about the way it used to get all tangled up and curl back up in itself after you stretched it out so long. Oh yay! Good times.

Heather said...

You made me think of Atari with this one. Back when video games were simple. Contoller had a stick and one button, and the games looked like they had been drawn on an etch a sketch. Times have changed hmmmmm?